Backporch Banter

Potted Herbs on My Backporch

I grow various potted herbs on my backporch and use them for cooking. Having the herbs close by makes it easy for me to run out and snip a sprig whenever I want to spice up a dish. Some of my herbs were started from seeds while others were bought as starter plants. I...

read more
Jen’s Blueberry Sunflower Seed Muffins

Jen’s Blueberry Sunflower Seed Muffins

I sent a request for favorite recipes to my family, and my niece, Jen, responded with many delectable choices. One of her favorites is a muffin recipe that she and her sister, Jessie, baked with their Grandma (my Mother) when they were young girls. Jen’s Blueberry...

read more
Tara’s Homemade Granola

Tara’s Homemade Granola

On my recent trip to see my sister, Tara, we hung out in the mornings drinking coffee and nibbling on her delicious homemade granola. Tara’s granola recipe is easy to make and gluten and sugar free. It does have some honey that adds a hint of sweetness. However, I...

read more
The Not So Fabulous Apple Raisin & Pecan Bundt Cake

The Not So Fabulous Apple Raisin & Pecan Bundt Cake

Because of the rainy weather here in Denton yesterday, I was stuck inside, so I decided to bake this fabulous Apple Raisin & Pecan Bundt Cake and give you the recipe. Well, things didn’t go as planned. As you know, this whole blog business is new to me. I bought a new...

read more
Banana Bread Made Healthy with Einkorn Flour

Banana Bread Made Healthy with Einkorn Flour

This recipe is a healthier version of banana bread that is made with coconut oil, brown sugar, and Einkorn whole wheat flour. In my Sourdough 101 post last week, I introduced you to Einkorn flour. It’s an ancient grain that has not been hybridized and is more easily...

read more
Sourdough 101

Sourdough 101

One of my ambitions is to bake really good sourdough bread. Sourdough bread is made with sourdough starter instead of commercial yeast and has a pleasant sour tang. The starter is fermented dough and contains friendly bacteria. Wild yeasts exist naturally on all...

read more
The Great British Baking Show

The Great British Baking Show

Most afternoons, I walk 45 minutes on my treadmill and watch programs on Netflix or Amazon Prime as Izzie lies on the bed looking out the window. Lately, I’ve been watching The Great British Baking Show on Netflix while I walk. The show is entertaining, and hopefully,...

read more
Asparagus from My Garden

Asparagus from My Garden

My little garden produced a lot of asparagus this year… enough for me to eat a few spears almost every day and to also give some to my neighbors. Sadly, asparagus season is over. I picked it from February till the end of April. All asparagus that pops up now will...

read more