Backporch Banter

Hurricane Harvey Relief Efforts

The people of southeast Texas and southwest Louisiana have experienced extreme devastation and will continue to feel the effects for months and years to come. Hurricane Harvey was relentless and cruel. Many of these people live in areas that have never...

read more
Maple Oat Banana Walnut Bread

Maple Oat Banana Walnut Bread

I always buy more bananas than Izzie and I can eat. So I made banana bread again. This banana bread doesn’t have any refined sugar. Its mild sweetness is drawn from the maple syrup along with the bananas. Oat flour made from rolled oats and walnuts make...

read more
Photos of My Flowers

Photos of My Flowers

The temperatures were a little cooler here in north Texas today, and I enjoyed being out in my garden. I trimmed back the Mexican sunflowers and dead headed the zinnias. This was the first year that I've grown the Mexican sunflowers, and I underestimated...

read more
Considerations on Growing Older

Considerations on Growing Older

I have a friend who is around 75 years of age. Her husband is 10 years older than her. I’m going to refer to them as Jane and Andrew. They are in the process of a divorce after 35 years of marriage. Up until a year ago, they adored each other. But life...

read more
Sarah’s No Bake Energy Balls

Sarah’s No Bake Energy Balls

My niece, Sarah, made these wonderful No Bake Energy Balls when I visited her in Chicago last year. We were out early every morning walking around the city and along the lake shore, going to the farmers markets and museums, and shopping. These No Bake Energy Balls...

read more
Izzie is Learning New Tricks

Izzie is Learning New Tricks

Mom and I have been very busy learning new tricks. I really, really like doing tricks. Every time I do one, I get a treat. My favorite treats are Blue Wilderness Salmon Wild Bits made especially for training. They are easy to break into small pieces. I’m little, so...

read more
Chocolate Cake with Raspberries for Wine Tasting

Chocolate Cake with Raspberries for Wine Tasting

I mentioned in a previous post that I’m in a wine tasting group known as the Vino Amores. A few days before our last gathering, I shopped at Costco and bought a container of raspberries. As those of you who shop at Costco know, you get a LOT of whatever it is you’re...

read more
Potted Herbs on My Backporch

Potted Herbs on My Backporch

I grow various potted herbs on my backporch and use them for cooking. Having the herbs close by makes it easy for me to run out and snip a sprig whenever I want to spice up a dish. Some of my herbs were started from seeds while others were bought as starter plants. I...

read more