Backporch Banter

Lion, the movie

Lion, the movie, is the incredible true story of five year old Saroo who lives in a small rural village near Khandwa, India in the 1980s. He adores his older brother, Guddu, and accompanies him one night to find work. The brothers become separated, and Saroo gets on...

read more
My Crape Myrtles are in Bloom

My Crape Myrtles are in Bloom

I arrived home last evening after visiting my sister in Iowa for a few days. The crape myrtles are one of my favorite small trees, and those in my garden bloomed while I was gone. My yard is decked out with numerous crape myrtles in various shades of pink, and the...

read more
Vino Amores Wine Tasting Club

Vino Amores Wine Tasting Club

Once a month, I get together with my Vino Amores Wine Tasting Club. We’ve been meeting since 2003, and though a few members have come and gone, many of us have been here since the beginning. We eat, drink, and have a lot of fun. And believe it or not, we actually take...

read more
Cheers to the Guys on Father’s Day

Cheers to the Guys on Father’s Day

My Dad loved to read, and for Father's Day, my sisters and I often gave him books. Over the years, he had gathered quite a collection. He had many books about animals and particularly liked James Herriot’s series of books which includes All Creatures Great and Small....

read more
Happy Mother’s Day

Happy Mother’s Day

These gorgeous flowers are for my Mother. She lived with me for several years after she sold her home in Iowa. My sisters would send flowers to her every Mother's Day. Mom passed away in 2010, but when Mother's Day comes around each year, I buy a big, beautiful...

read more
My Back Porch

My Back Porch

Come on out and have a seat. Over a cup of coffee or a glass of wine, we’ll chat about a lot of things. I like to bake, so we might sample my latest Bundt cake or loaf of sourdough bread. I’m always reading something whether it’s a book or magazine, and I hope you’ll...

read more